Socialising, connecting and bringing people together lives in the very heart of Whistle Punks so we know that Christmas can sometimes be a pretty lonely time of the year for some people. According to the Samaritans, a charity that provides emotional support for those in need, 1 in 6 people experience loneliness over the holiday period. That’s why we are big advocates of taking a moment to reach out to loved ones that you don’t talk to that often.
The holiday season is here! It’s our favourite time of the year, we can’t wait to catch up with our friends before heading home to hibernate for the rest of the year (and see our families, of course.)
Catching up with people you don’t see that often is one of the best feelings around. Keeping friendships strong and keeping special connections alive have huge benefits to our mental health and wellbeing. Studies suggest that spending time with friends actually changes our outlook for the better and we feel happier for it.
As adults, life sometimes gets in the way and friendships sometimes take a back seat but keeping our friendships going are also really important and just like plants they need a bit of nurturing from time to time.
Here are our favourite ways to make your friendships keep going whilst you’re busy adulting.
- Make time – this is the biggest thing for a friendship. Make the time. Spending time with someone is the best way to make a relationship stronger.
- Communicate – Reach out and say hello! A quick text message, brief email or a phone call to let someone know you are thinking of them will make their day.
- Be yourself – it’s that simple!
If you’ve moved to a new city and don’t really know anyone – no problem! Here are our favourite ways to meet new people in a new city:
- Volunteer for a local worthy cause and meet some awesome people
- Join a club or a meetup – playdates aren’t just for kids. Join a club or a meetup to meet like-minded people. There are thousands of groups out there – something for everyone!
- Work – We spend so much of our waking lives at work so hang out and grab some lunch and drinks with your colleagues – there’s bound to be some good ones in your team!
- Join one of our social lanes and meet some new pals whilst slinging some axes
We wish you a happy holiday season and hope you have lots of fun with your friends and family!
Why giving an experience is better than giving thingsOur thoughts // 23.09.2019
The Rise of Competitive Socialising within group activities
Competitive socialising is the new trend that defies the gloomy statistics of pub closures. Here we take a look at what it is and why it’s doing so well.Our thoughts // 02.01.2019
Brits have lost the art of conversation.Our thoughts // 20.09.2019